My intention as a coach is to meet my client exactly where they are, help them identify where they want to be, and guide them as they find the way to bridge that gap. Alcohol abuse causes such intense suffering and pain, and my motivation as a coach is to help my client find their way out of that pain.
So what does a coach do? A coach is action-oriented and forward looking. A coach walks alongside to help you be the best version of yourself. For example, many of you have experienced a fitness trainer or sports coach in your life. They assess the current situation, identify the goal, and help with tactics and strategies to achieve the desired goal. They cannot lift the weights or run the race for you, but they can give you tools and information that assist you in doing it for yourself.
The nature of the coaching relationship is not psychological counseling, therapy, or psychotherapy. If you suffer from a medical condition or severe alcohol use disorder, you need to consult with an appropriate health care provider. A This Naked Mind certified coach is not licensed to diagnose or treat pathological conditions, illnesses, or diseases.
I like what Tess Brigham, both a licensed therapist and certified coach, says:
As a This Naked Mind certified coach, I promise to
- Provide a safe, confidential, non-judgmental space for you to find hope that a better future exists and is attainable
- Share well-research resources necessary for exploration and investigation of beliefs
- Guide you as you discover your inner wisdom and strength
- Help nurture self-compassion and grace in looking at and accepting your humanness
- Try to tame my advice monster and allow you to find the right answers for yourself
- Share my story and experiences when it’s helpful, and be quiet when it’s not—it’s not about me
- Be an active listener and active questioner
- Provide truthful information and feedback when needed
- Share tactics and strategies that have been proven to work
- Use my network of experienced TNM coaches for resources when needed
As my client, I will expect you to:
- Show up and be honest
- Accept responsibility for your actions
- Be open to questioning your thoughts and beliefs
Book a free discovery call
Take a free 30 minute discovery call